About Website Shop


December 3, 2013

FACING THE MODERN

At the weekend I went to visit the Facing the Modern: The Portrait in Vienna 1900 exhibition at the National Gallery with a friend and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

The exhibition documents the development of portraiture in Vienna at the turn of the century and as well as showing earlier and rarely seen works, there were also artist death masks on display which were completely fascinating and wonderfully odd.

It's open until 12th January and make sure you use a student card if you have one for £5.50 entry...

One of my favourite pieces was a deathbed portrait by Klimt, commissioned by the parents of a girl who committed suicide aged twenty-four. I love the way Klimt captures the blue and pink of skin tones and how they look against his bright backdrops.


 Ria Munk on the Deathbed (Ria Munk I) 1912

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment

Post a Comment